Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Puzzling Time?

Since we live in the land of many rains we have to be creative with indoor activities through the winter. One of my favorite things to do is put together a puzzle. The kind that sits on the table and everyone puts in a piece or two in passing. I love the satisfaction of completing a challenge.

I must admit that the only kind of puzzles I like to do are pictures of folk art scenes with lots of different things going on in the picture. I don't like those puzzles that are vast amounts of various shades of green. Those make me crazy. I found a set of 8 puzzles at Costco last week and we have been having a ton of fun with those. They range from 300 pieces to 1000. It was only $12.00 for all those puzzles. I thought that was a great deal because most puzzles are $8.00 a piece. Whoohoo, score.

I love artists like Charles Wysocki and James Christensen. I even bought a puzzle mat that is great, it makes the pieces stand out and if I need to I can roll it up and put it away. I have not been able to do puzzles for a few years because of the ages of my kids. Now that they are a little older they help me out. Landon still likes to mess things up, but we keep it on the kitchen table that is raised and it is out of sight out of mind for him. What is your favorite winter past time?

9 comments:

Connie said...

Putting together puzzles is the best, so relaxing. Hmmm, I wonder where you got your love of putting puzzles together?

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

I enjoy them too. I haven't worked on a good puzzle in quite a while. I think my favorite winter past time is crafting and reading.

Bobbi said...

It looks like so much fun. I wish I had a big table to put one on. Maybe I need a puzzle mat. Where did you buy it? Nice puzzles you picked out, so cute.

Rainy Day Farm said...

Bobbi,
I found my puzzle mat at michael's. I got it after Christmas on clearance for $3, but the regular price was only $8.

wendy said...

Hubby and I have been talking about getting a puzzle to do this winter....long, cold, windy winters.

I like doing puzzles, but sometimes they tend to consume me.

Tami Anderson said...

Our puzzle tradition is that if anyone touches even one piece, they have to put 5 in before they can quit. We have often tried to trick visitors into touching a piece "Hey, can you hand me that puzzle piece?" Then they have to stay longer.

I've also been known to sneak one of the pieces and hide it so I get to put the last piece in.

I'm pure evil...which is very hard to type with "Silent Night" playing in the background!!! You crazy Christmas in July kind of gal.

Burbs said...

I love those same kind of puzzles!! and how cool to know there are other puzzle people out there!

Verde Farm said...

I also love to do puzzles. I haven't had a lot of time to do them in the last few years but my Mom and I bought one this year and we are going to start it. My favorite puzzle I ever did was Miss PIggy. Her hair was a bear but I loved it!
Amy

Carol Jean said...

We just did a puzzle last Sunday at Cameron and Sarah's. Lets get it out and work on it for Thanksgiving when your here. Could be lots of fun. CJ>