Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Turning 100

I have a great-great aunt who will be turning 100 in October. We got together early to celebrate her birthday this past weekend. This is an amazing woman. She has traveled the world many times over and experienced more in her 100 years than most of us could do in 200 years. One of her favorite places to travel was India. She went there by herself many times.

I remember her taking me school clothes shopping in Portland one time and she was such a scary driver that I didn't think I would live to wear the clothes. She was generous with so many people and when she saw a need she would help in any way she could. She would never stay long when she came and most of her visits consisted in her squealing into the driveway and honking until somone came out.

She was always very fit and active in her life. She was so upset when she had to give up roller-skating at age 72. I have a picture of her in a fancy skating outfit with better legs than most 35 year olds.
So Happy Birthday to a pistol of a lady who has seen so many changes in this country.

4 comments:

arkie said...

Anyone that has made it to 100 and lived such an active lifestyle deserves applause!!!!!

Cute blog! Loved the grandparents campground! Would love to do that someday!

Randy Hall said...

Oh Effie! I don't know her well, but you can for sure tell shes a pistol!
I don't think I have ever seen Robb laugh so hard as he did for Effie's birthday party. Landon showed the love for her too with the balloons! :)

Tina❀ said...

Honestly, you could have described my own aunt. We must be related! She too took me school shopping and fell asleep at the stop lights, amazing we made it home. LOL. She live to 92 or something, never did know her true age. I miss her terribly!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR SWEET AUNT!!

wendy said...

WOW....I can't imagine living to be 100.
I'd love that as long as my mind stayed sharp enough.
and I want to be remembered as a "pistol of a lady too"
and yes, my children are afraid to ride in the car with me. WHAT??