Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Snickerdoodles

I have been craving these cookies for at least a month now, and finally broke down and made them last week. They were sooooo worth the wait. It was like a tangy, crispy, chewy, sweet party in my mouth! I love this recipe! They are a little crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. In fact, my mouth is watering as I am typing this!

I got this recipe from a church cookbook that my mom gave me a few years ago. Church cookbooks are my FAVORITE because everything is finger lickin good. OK, there are those few recipes that come from the lady with too many cats and you always pass by her dish at the church potluck, but let's give them A for effort. Just not a taste test.

I also love church cookbooks, because it is fun to see someones name that you recognize and have a cherished memory of that person. Linda Buck, Ellen Davis, Janyce Phillips(my aunt), Denise Merrill, and of course my Mom. All are women I grew up with and have fond memories of. Anyway, enough of the trot down memory lane. Here is this goodie of a recipe.

Snickerdoodles

2 c. Shortening

3 c. sugar

4 eggs

1/2 tsp. salt

4 t. cream of tartar

2 t. soda

5 c. flour

(8 T. sugar & 8 t. cinnamon, for coating)

Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs one at a time. Sift together flour, soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Add to mixture.


Roll dough into balls about the size of a walnut (Iuse a medium sized cookie scoop), then roll balls in sugar mixture. When balls are coated, place on cookie sheet and bake until light brown, or 8-10 minutes at 350.


Remove from pan and cool on a wire baking rack. Grab a big glass of milk and let the crumbs fly! Hope you enjoy these yummy cookies. Let me know how they turn out! Happy fall baking!

2 comments:

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

I LURV snickerdoodles.. but sadly.. I'm the only one. Hub's and kids pass on them. I'm like WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!! So that would leave way too many for me to eat by myself.. so I never make them. I'll just live vicariously through my Washington Sister.

Missy said...

We love snickerdoodles at my house. This reminds me that I need to make them this season.