Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Harvest Block How to!

Here is the Harvest block tutorial that I promised weeks ago. Sorry, life gets away from me once in a while. Oh, who am I kidding this was a time consuming post and I put it off for as long as I could. There, see I am just like the rest of you! Procrastinator at heart!

Step 1: Cut blocks from a 1x3 piece of wood.(My mistake:The wood is from a 2x3 that you can get at Lowe's) One block for each letter. Cut the blocks as follows.


H-3 1/4"


A-2 1/2"


R-2 1/4"


V- 1 3/4"


E-2 1/4"


S-2 1/2"


T-2 1/4"



Sand the edges just enough to remove any rough edges. Paint blocks either brown or black. Let paint dry completely.(if you want to speed things up, then use a hairdryer to dry the paint) Lightly sand when paint is dry. Sand edges for a distressed look.

Select up to 7 different scrapbook papers in coordinating colors and patterns. You can use the same paper more than once. I did that and was happy with how it turned out. Cut paper slightly smaller than the block. Mod Podge paper to block. Make sure to let it dry completely before applying the top coat of Mod Podge, or you paper will bubble and make a mess. Then you will cry and be mad at me and I don't want you to be mad at me!

Here you can see the block on the right has been sanded and the block on the left has not. It is just personal preference.

You can use and emory board and lightly sand the edges of the paper.

Apply 2" vinyl letters to each block. Here is me (with my pms face on, don't ask my why I look so irritated) demonstrating how to apply vinyl! What happened to the other half of my eyebrow? Time to go get that fixed. You can order your vinyl here. The completed blocks are $12.00 plus shipping, or just the vinyl for $4.00 plus shipping.

After applying the vinyl grab all your ribbon and embellishments. I just used my scrapbooking supplies and my mom had some really cute tulle. Add what ever makes your little heart go pitter pat! Be creative and go for it.

After you are all done, you will have a fabulous Fall decoration for your shelf, end table, or mantle. Happy Crafting!

4 comments:

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

I LURV these blocks!!

I want to make some.... but I think I'm going to
do a LET IT SNOW.. for Winter.. what do ya think??

Shelli said...

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment! I love it when I hear from people that are actually reading it! Your blog is darling, and I love that harvest block tutorial! That is too cute! Anyway, thanks so much!

Shelli
Needle in a Haystack

Unknown said...

SO CUTE! I love these letters. I'm such a big fan of them.

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this for us. Really a great idea. Happy Halloween!

Debbie