Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dinner Disaster


I am pretty sure that a week trapped in the house with a puking baby has made me completely loose my mind. I thought it would be fun to do a few things for Earth Day and get back to the simple things of life. We did a few fun things that you can take a peak at on our homeschool blog. One of the things I wanted to do was make a good old fashioned dinner of roast chicken, potatoes, garden fresh carrots, and homemade wheat bread. In between activities, a fussy baby, laundry and phone calls I managed to get dinner in the oven on time. Then Addison reminded me that the movies we rented needed to be returned by 6:00, it was exactly 5:57 right then. So we jumped in the car and peeled out of the driveway and headed to the video store. Got there just in time and raced home to have a great meal.

The kids picked up while I got dinner out of the oven and dished up. I pulled the chicken out of the pan, check, dished up the potatoes and carrots, check, made the gravy, check, pulled out the bread from the oven , check, and got the warmed (in the oven) gravy boat, check. Can you see disaster headed my way? Oh believe me it's coming, like a raging loco-motive, it's coming!

I pull out my best knife and start to carve the chicken up, it smelled divine I must add. Then, all I see is dark meat, and I thought "What is up with this bird, where is the nice white breast meat?" My personal favorite, by golly. I HAD COOKED THAT DANG THING UPSIDE DOWN in my mommy craziness. I couldn't believe that I had been soooooooooooooooooooooo scatterbrained that I put the thing in the pan upside down! Duh, dingbat, ding dong, ding-a- ling!!!! But, again I was determined to have a great dinner, so I start carving the buried breast and get down the middle and it's not cooked all the way through. Sigh! But alas, we are GOING to have chicken for dinner, dang it. So I took the meat that was fully cooked and nuked it just in case, don't want anymore puking in this house for a while.

I then proceed to put the finishing touches on dinner. Oh wait, what is roast chicken, potatoes, and garden fresh carrots without and bath of gravy. So I pour the gravy in the warm gravy boat and grab it to take to the counter. Yikes!!!! The gravy boat had been in the 350 oven for pete's sake, and it was scorching hot. The gravy boat then proceeds to tumble on it's side and pour all over the stove. Yes, even into the burners. It was a golden lake of gravy. Before I knew what was happening I yelled, and I mean yelled a four lettered word that I would prefer my kids not hear, let alone say in front of their Grandmother. I am pretty sure people in the next county heard me yell that word. I just know that it's going to be Landon's first word, and I will for sure win worst mommy of the year award.

Despite the undercooked chicken, spilled gravy, and swear word we did manage to have a yummy dinner. Logan even ate the carrots and said "Those carrots were yummy, they only made me throw up a little bit." If you knew my son's gag reflex, and the food issues we have in this house, you would be laughing right now! I think I need to stick with our normal routine and casseroles for a while!
P.S. In my swear word extravaganza I did not have enough of my wits to think to take a pic, so I snagged one from the web. That is what it would have looked like if I had not got buggy! Maybe in my pre-kid days, and even then it's a big maybe!

8 comments:

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that your dinner didn't go exactly as planned but at least you made a dinner for your family, that is all that matters.

We all have had dinners where we thought something so awesome would turn out "so so".

I bet you will never lay your bird breast side down.

Nice to meet you girly!

A fellow foodie blogger,

Jenifer

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Believe me, you aren't the first, you wont be the last.. it happens to all of us. I mean from the undercooked chicken, to the spilt gravy, and even the undesirable 4 letter word. We're moms, but we aren't perfect. Thank goodness for a forgiving Lord, right?!!

Oh.. and a "they only made me throw up a little bit" is priceless!

Today is a new day.. time to start all over. ;)

Amy

Tammy said...

Is THAT what I heard? LOL I'm glad you kept your sense of humor about you. Yepp, we've all been there.

The bit about Logan and the carrots reminded me of my brother years ago. At one particular meal, my parents forced us all to try liver. (Liver? Really? Why would ANYONE willingly eat that?) Ralph, (Yes, that's really his name. And, very ironic as you will see)like your Logan, had a touchy gag reflex. He remarked that he would barf if he ate that. Of course, the parents replied, "Nonsense! Try one bite.) He did and he did. As the older, wiser sibling, I reminded the parents, "Well, he told you he'd barf!" Anyway, kudos to Logan for being a good sport and trying the carrots and controlling himself in a very strong, manyly way!
Love, reading about your family.

Tammy said...

PS. You are NOT the worst mommy of the year I AM! I know, I've been told more than a few time! But, not to worry, there's always next year hon! ;>

Kristin said...

I knew I heard cussing! I'm sure it was still tasty knowing you.

Whitney Seaberg said...

Oh man! I think you had better think simple when you have a sick baby at home, but now that everyone is all healed if you decide to go buck-wild again, you can totally invite me over, cuz I know your cooking is G-O-O-D!!!!

Funky Junk Sisters said...

You are soooo cute!! You are a busy mommy. Thanks for stopping by our blog today...we will keep checking back with you. Hope you can come to our big show.

Linda & Dixie
The Funky Junk Sisters

Megan said...

Ah, that sounds like something I would do! Yes, swearing can really get you back, such as when my 11 year old swore the other day and when I got mad at him, he asked why is it okay for you to do it then? Dang!