Saturday, April 25, 2009

Burnin Down the House!

Take one old house not needed anymore.

Add a bunch of grown men in suits...


...and you get one rip-roaring fire show!


This is a house on our neighbors property that he no longer wanted, so he got all the permits ($800.00 worth) and let the local volunteer firefighters practice putting it out. Robb and the kids were so excited that they drove over and watched it burn.It was a little scary because we left for about 45 minutes for an Easter egg hunt and come home and all the firefighters were gone and so was the house. I was a little disturbed by how fast a house burned to the ground, completely. Makes me have the need to go buy a few fire extinguishers.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I've seen them do this in our area too. It's very good trainging for our firefighters, but, I agree that it is somewhat disturbing. I saw a neighbors barn burn down on the farm next to my Aunt's when I ws a kid. I will never forget that. And, it is still the source of bad dreams! But, I'm sure the controlled fire you watched will make a good learning segway for your family! Think of all you can teach and learn together. Just be careful not to frighten the kidlets!

nikkicrumpet said...

YIKES...fire is such a scary thing...it's one of my worst nightmares. I can't believe they charges so freaking much for the permits!

Megan said...

A controlled burn was always an exciting thing for Craig when he was a volunteer firefighter. I'll have to show him the pics!