For this weeks Frugal Friday, (Yes, I know it is very late, but I have been a busy bee this week, wrapping up the holiday season, hanging with the fam, getting my house put back together, laundry, feeding farm animals, you know, the usual) I wanted to start the year off with a bang. My Mom sent me a link to Sandra at Stone Creek Market, who has a great blog and uses the same phrase that I love "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". There I discovered that she is participating in the January-Eat from your Pantry Challenge sponsored by Money Saving Mom's and Life as a Mom.
1. Take stock of what you have on hand and make meals with what you have.
2. Limit the number of times you go to the grocery store for the month of January
3. Make up your menu's from what you have on hand.
4. Set a budget for the month of January for grocery shopping.
5. Use the money saved for something special, such as an emergency cash fund, donate to a charity, or save up for something special.
My Family Pantry Goals for January:
1. Take an inventory of what food is in the pantry and freezer.
2. Design a month long menu plan to utilize the food items in my supply.
3. Bake and cook using the items in the freezer and pantry.
4. Visit a grocery store four times or less during the month. Purchase only fresh milk, eggs, fresh fruits and vegetables as needed or any necessities.
5. Set a dollar amount limited to $50 per grocery trip...use cash so not tempted to overspend. (This does not include pet food, diapers, clothing, household items, etc.)
6. Utilize more whole foods in my baking and cooking.
7. Use the money saved to build up an emergency fund.
If you would like to join head over to Money Saving Mom's to link up with other Mom's participating in this challenge. I will be posting recipes, menu's and how I am doing on the budget and in the challenge. Let me know if you do it and how it goes for you.