Friday, December 11, 2009

Frugal Friday #7

Rainy Day Farm

This week I wanted to pass on an easy and inexpensive gift to give. Nothing is better than homemade anything! Who doesn't like getting something homemade that you KNOW is going to taste scrumpitous! I found this yummy little recipe on Mennonite Girls Can Cook, and it like everything on their site it is wonderful!

Old Fashioned Chocolate Molasses Cookies
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasses
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. plus 2 T. cocoa powder
3 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Cream Shortening and sugar together. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well. Add molasses. Sift flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda together. Add to wet mixture, alternating with the milk. Roll cookies into balls and place on a parchement lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. When cool frost with your favorite frosting recipe.The only change I made was putting a green mint flavored frosting and sprinkles on mine. The chocolate and mint go great together and we had a hard time staying out of them.



Don't they look tempting?


My kids love to cook and bake with me. They especially love to frost cookies and add sprinkles! Here is Logan showing off his frosting skills.

Addison can't wait to have a little taste! They are great cookie bakers!

These would be great to give in a cute jar, cellophane or and adorable cookie tin. I know you can get really cute containers at any Dollar store. I give things like this out to kids teachers, friends, neighbors, or anyone I may have overlooked on my list.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Mmmm... sounds yummy. Especially with mint icing.

tammy said...

Those look yummy!